22 February 2012

Around The Blogs

Reading Around In My Visits...Thought I'd Share with ROW80 Friends ...


Elizabeth May Writes featured 'Self-Editing Your Manuscript In Eight Steps' this week.  Take a few minutes, it's a worthwhile read.  Honestly, I adore my adverbs and -ing verbs when paired with a strong verb (that's what I call them...i.e. - from -  The dog was running wildly after the frightened hare - to - The hound gave chase, galloping wildly on gangly legs, shadowing the frightened hare's every twist and turn.)  I can't seem to help myself... The mix and match approach appeals to my senses.  (Smiles sheepishly...;}

Here's Wordle, a place you can upload your document and get a picture, a word cloud of the most common words in your text.  Interesting.... 

 
What about you?  Do you limit your adverb and -ing usage?


Lindsay Buroker posts an interesting discussion about the feasibility of Indie authors maintaining a steady income source, and talks about competition in this growing field.

I happened across a book review site, Great Minds Think Aloud.  I purchased a new historical by Cecelia Grey based on a review I read there, and submitted my own historical for review.  Gosh!  That's a big step for me.  It's part of marketing, I suppose, albeit an uncomfortable part of marketing for me...

Goals... 

*  I edited one more chapter since Sunday's check-in.  Less progress than I'd like, but progress.  Getting The Third Fate into beta's hands by March 10 will be close....

*  Only worked-out one time!  This is unacceptable, and I need to get off my lazy kiester...heh heh.  Maybe today?! 

*  Social goals met. :}

*  Goodreads is a valuable outreach vehicle that I've not used well.  Many avid readers use this site, post reviews, and discuss books.  I plan to better utilize the opportunity this site affords me as an author.  Now if I can just figure out how... Ha!

Pinterest continues to pop up on my radar...This week I'll finally check out the hype.  Not only fellow readers, but also friends in my community are talking about this popular site.  

What's on your agenda this week?



~ Nadja

6 comments:

  1. I want to use Goodreads more, but there's something funky with the iPad app.

    Agenda for this week...finish reading "James and the Giant Peach" with my daughter, finish editing so I can get paid, some Lego Harry Potter, and hopefully some writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with the cat. Why can't we just absorb information via osmosis or something lol!!!

    Sounds like you've got a lot going on.

    As for my own agenda, just keeping up with my three times a week blogging and steady progress with revising my current WiP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thanks for the links. I'm going to look at all of them more closely at home tonight.

    I love my adverbs. I don't know who suddenly decided we shouldn't use them. One author posted one time that she loved her adverbs and was going to use them no matter what anyone thought. I don't want to OVER use them, but I think adverbs are very descriptive and lets the reader see more of what the author is seeing.

    I'm falling down on my workouts, too. I've got to change that!

    I can't wait for The Third Fate to come out with that wonderful Jimmy Thomas on the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pininterest does feel like it is everywhere, I am so worried it will distract me more than I manage to distract myself already!

    Great that things are moving forward with The Third Fate and you are right, progress is progress! Have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all of these links. I'm going to spend some time popping around and learning. I like Tagxedo (similar to Wordle, but more options).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like adverbs and -ing verbs for a splash of variety. I enjoy the cadence of the writing and flow of the words more with that variety.

    Good luck editing The Third Fate. I'm intrigued by the excerpt you put out the other day.

    I'm trying to finish the first draft of my WIP in the next ten days. I have about 10,000 words left to go, so it's a tall order! But not NaNo tall. lol

    ReplyDelete