04 May 2011

ROW80 Check-In ~ 04 May, 2011

Updates For Round Of Words, Life, And Writing...............


Click Here to visit the ROW80 blog page and see what fellow ROW participants are accomplishing! 

What a great week it has been!  The novel is coming along nicely.  I did hit a bump in the flow mid-week, causing me to wonder if meeting my word count goal would be possible, but after a day's pause for reflection all was well again.  Sometimes it is the silliest things that manage to take my focus on a detour.  The dog splashes all his water on the floor, the phone rings, the cacophony of what sounds like a herd of elephants trampling around my second floor (really it is two young boys 'playing') - these distract me unnecessarily.  Sure, I must deal with the water, but I don't have to allow it to affect me for 30 minutes following.  The phone can be ignored as can the 'rumpus time' above me.  Unfortunately, even a task oriented girl like myself can find life's unfolding 'hoopla' a bit more than I can overcome occasionally.  I suppose these will be treasured memories in ten years or so, but this week .....not so much. 

My novel's story centers around the mixed martial arts, and I got a front row view of a legend in the sport this week at  Scranton MMA, the gym where my son trains.  Royce Gracie revolutionized the sport in this country with his family's brand of jiu-jitsu, and he held a training session with the gym's students on Monday.  It was a very exciting moment for my son, and gave me the opportunity to watch masters of Gracie jiu-jitsu grapple a mere five feet in front of me.  Great material for my story - not to mention a fantastic memory for my son. 

Have a great week everyone....~ Nadja

8 comments:

  1. I totally understand the whole distraction thing with my three playing and trampling about the house like wild animals. But never fear, for selective hearing kicks in, for a short while, and then all is gooderish.
    Julius

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get distracted easily too! Instead of 2 boys, I have 3 Siberian Huskies who really do sound like a herd of elephants rampaging around the backyard. Small things distract me too - people talking, the washing machine etc.

    My story has a bit of martial arts in it too so I was actually going to sign up for jiu-jitsu classes (or perhaps Thai boxing). I know I'm going to be hopeless at it because I have no athletic ability but I'm sure I'll look back on it one day and laugh (or wince in pain).

    Good luck with the rest of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to computer difficulties, I'm working in the same room as my husband. We can go off on a tangent-filled conversation at the drop of a hat... It takes a strong, strong will to ignore the hubbub sometimes.

    Glad that the novel's going well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Komal.....I think I would be wincing in pain also.....I'll leave the actual jiu-jitsu, Muai Thai kickboxing, judo, and wrestling to my sons. I'll gather my 'intel' by watching. He does show me certain choke holds, and Oy Vey, it's enough for me! As a veteran wrestling mom, I've picked up a lot of knowledge, so it seemed natural to write it into my novel.
    Three dogs? God bless you! With a husband, three sons,(we have two grown & out of the nest daughters too!) and a German Shepherd I don't think I could handle another busy body around the house. Good Luck this week. ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Katen! I'd be done for sure. I love to talk far too much to share an office with anyone....husband or otherwise. ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool about your non-traditional research methods. Distraction has been my worst enemy this week, but I feel like I'm getting back on track.
    Good luck with your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your son! I love it when real lief hands up research material at just the right time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Deniz! He was 'over the moon' about learning from Royce Gracie. (I was 'over the moon' for him...:)
    From the comments, I'd say this week was full of distractions for many of us. Maybe it is spring in the air....maybe just spring fever, but regaining momentum is our shared goal!
    This weekend promises to be a great opportunity to get busy and move forward. ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete