18 April 2012

A Difference Of Gender

It's all about the differences between men and women today...  Thanks to ROW80 author, Raelyn! 


Man Up: Writing The Male POV, a great post by Roni Loren, romance author, had me laughing out loud.  Truth can be funnier than fiction, and Roni pegs the male psyche with hilarious accuracy. 


Writers In The Storm featured Rob Preece's insights in, Women Are From Venus - Men Are Annoying.  This is a good post to read if gearing up to write your hero's perspective as well as how to create conflict between your hero and heroine.  Preece's thoughts and discussion prompted me to write down a few of his keen observations to utilize in my next story.  What a great find!

Now, for a look at female characters....

Marcy Kennedy defines  What Do We Mean By Strong Female Characters in this first post in her series.  She goes on later to talk about How To Keep Strong Female Characters Likable and concludes with What About Characters Who Don't Match Stereotypical Male And Female Qualities.  I enjoyed this series quite a bit.  I'm passing it on ...

On The Writing Front...


Both my hero and heroine's character profile packets are completed!  I'm profiling my supporting characters (albeit on a smaller scale than my hero and heroine), shaping up my outline, and organizing my chapters.  That should fill up the rest of this week - then, the writing can commence!

        I'm sort of channeling a Matthew Goode vibe for my hero.  He's got that little hint of 'devil-in-his-eye' that my hero must possess.  It's working for me at this point.  Ha!

My heroine...well, I can't say I have anyone in mind just yet that reminds me of the woman I'm creating. 


Update on the wrestling front...

Here's some of the swag given out at the banquet!  That monstrosity my son is holding is his Four-Year-Iron-Man!  I thought he was getting his two year Iron Man, but they count Jr. High in the mix, enabling wrestlers to earn a six year Iron Man - which is called the Ted Prisco Award.  My son is the only sophomore still in the running.  There is one junior who received his five year Iron Man at the banquet, so he will be eligible next year for that rarely given award.  Awesome! 

I was impressed with the young men at the banquet.  Four wrestlers on the team had a 4.0 GPA!  That's amazing.  Our school is sending seven wrestlers to the All-Academic-District, All-Academic-Region teams.  It's a large percentage based on the fact that there are over 20 teams in our district alone.  I thought that even my friends in the writing community would appreciate these numbers.  It heartens me to see student athletes achieving in the classroom as well as in the gym. Anyway...another year down!  While I'm super proud, I am not sorry for the break :}  Wrestling season is exhilarating, exciting, nerve-wracking, and intense.  It's also exhausting.  I'll be ready for next season, as will my son.  For now...he's eating until his little heart is content, camping, fishing, going to the movies, and prestige-ing on his game....you know...all the things that he has no time for during wrestling season. 

 ~ Nadja

15 comments:

  1. Yay for getting your hero/heroine's profile packets done! Love that picture of Matthew Goode *totally swoons* Good luck the rest of the week and congrats to your son on his accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered Goode in the movie 'Leap Year' - and just adored his character. He does that scruffy look well. But the pic I posted is how I'm picturing my hero...neat and well dressed. Ha.

      Thanks for stopping by, Kat! Hope your week ends with a lot of things checked off your list.

      Delete
  2. Busy week! Congrats to your son. That is a well deserved trophy, sounds like. Will have to check out the links you provided. Love the pics about our perspective. The hubby and I were just talking about that last night. Have another great week Nadja. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed these posts on perspective from the male/female character. Well worth the look-see! Great new blog design, Melanie! Love it!

      Delete
  3. What a great picture of your son. I know you're a proud mom!

    Characters all ready, huh? I bet you're anxious to get started. It's almost time for the fun part!

    Men and women are SO different, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks. Yeah...I am proud (smiles broadly). It's a tough sport to compete in and I admire any who commit to the grueling workouts and schedules.

      YES! Characters are all ready...and (I write my posts ahead usually by a few days) as of today I have twelve chapters outlined. Woo-hoo. I should be writing by Monday!

      Delete
  4. You found pictures!! ROFL. Somehow that just ups the link factor.

    Congrats to your son...awesome picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm all about the images! lol. Seriously...thanks for some great links on the male POV!

      Delete
  5. Your entry title sounds a lot like what's been going on all over the internet of late! :) Like the links, even if they're not drama related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ?? Is this a theme right now? Oy. I'll have to check out your new post asap. You always have the best links around :}

      Delete
  6. Awesome links, Nadja! I love Marcy's posts, don't you? And your male/female pictures just gave me the giggles. Congrats on finishing up with your characters and on your son's accomplishments!! Such a good picture :D Good luck with the rest of this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm newly introduced to Macy Kennedy - and I very much enjoyed her series on 'Strong Heroines'. I'll definitely read more.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the images! I love a good laugh - finding images that tickle my funny bone is such fun.

      Delete
  7. I love the way you do your updates, Nadja! You must be so proud of your "baby" boy - he looks awesome behind that trophy. :-)

    That photo with the hubby and wife slayed me. Thanks for the Wednesday giggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh! Thanks, Jenny! That means a lot coming from you. You alwasy have such great posts. See you soon!

      Delete
  8. Hi, Nadja,
    Thanks for sharing the links to do with characters. I am definitely interested in the male perspective. Congrats to your son on his achievements.

    ReplyDelete